How to Use a Laptop as a Monitor for PS4? A Step by Step Guideseo
Officially termed as PS4, the PlayStation 4 is an immensely popular eighth-generation gaming console. Sony Interactive Entertainment developed this home video game console. If you ever happened to choose your laptop screen to be a part of your gaming entertainment, you might have wanted to know how to use a laptop as a monitor for PS4.
Well, the process isn’t complicated, but it involves a lot of details plus specific system requirements and tools. In this article, you’ll learn what is it that you need to play PS4 games on a laptop screen.
How to Use a Laptop as a Monitor for PS4?
It starts with the collection of the required tools and application. Then, you should proceed with the installation and other settings.
Gathering the Essentials
As you’re going to begin the process, you have to gather some functional items that help you do it. Here’s the list of things you’ll need.
- A Computer with some particular hardware and software configurations
- PS4™ system
- DUALSHOCK™4 wireless controller
- DUALSHOCK™4 USB wireless adaptor (It eases the wireless operation of the controller, but a USB cable should also be okay)
- An active PlayStation™ Account
- 3G/4G Internet connection (15Mbps is quite fine, but the higher the speed, the better your gaming experience)
- A microphone (Get it if you want to talk. Otherwise, it’s optional because the laptop itself should have a built-in microphone)
Start the Setup Process
So, you want to play PS4 on a laptop screen? PS4 remote play is going to be an important part of the activity. You can download it from many internet sources. But, try to get it from trusted sources. Here’s how you can install the application.
- Click and Run the installation (RemotePlayInstaller.exe) file.
- You’ll see an installation dialog box on the screen. Follow each instruction on the screen carefully.
- As the installation process goes on, you might be asked to download some additional resources which are essential for the use of the main application. Follow the instructions on the screen to download them.
- Finish the installation.
Set up the PS4 System
As you’re about to use the application, you have to follow the steps below.
- First, enable the Remote Play by selecting Settings which is located in the Remote Play Connection Settings
- Select the checkbox that shows Enable Remote Play.
- Activate the system as the primary PS4™ system by going to Settings and then to Account Management. Find Activate as Your Primary PS4 and click Activate.
- If your PS4TM system has been put to rest mode, you need to select Settings and go to Power Saving Settings. Then, go to Power Savings Settings and select Set Features Available in Rest Mode.
- Select these two checkboxes: Enable Turning On of PS4 from Network and Stay Connected to the Internet.
Use the Remote Play
Now, it’s your turn to learn how to use your Remote Play. Follow the steps below.
- Turn the PS4 system on or keep it into the Rest Mode.
- Use a USB cable to connect your controller to the laptop. You can also use the DUALSHOCK4 USB wireless adaptor to pair the controller.
- Launch your PS4 Remote Play on the laptop and click Start.
- Then, you need to sign in with your PlayStation Account to proceed.
As you’re using the Remote Play, keep the following notes in mind.
- Unless you’ve activated the PS4 system as the primary system or the application detects the PS4 system, you must pair the PS4 system and the laptop manually.
- Connect the laptop and the PS4 system over one (same) particular network.
- Some on-screen instructions should appear. Follow them.
- There’re some games that may not support your Remote Play.
- You can visit the PS4 customer support website for your particular region or country to know the audio input/output details while using the Remote Play.
What if You Can’t Find Remote Play?
For some reasons, you may not find the Remote Play available. You may also face some stability issues during the procedure. Don’t worry! Read the instructions below and overcome either of these problems.
As a general rule for the internet speed requirement, you should aim for at least 5Mpbs for both download and upload. The higher speed is always a better privilege to have.
You can view the connection speed (just an estimate) for the PS4 system by going to Network in Settings. Then, click Test Internet Connection.
A wired connection is often preferable to wireless connections. So, try to have one for both the computer and the PS4 system.
In case you’ve only a Wi-Fi connection, you should take the PS4™ system as much close possible to your router or access point. Check for any obstruction. Try to remove if you see any.
Sometimes, different devices on a network may use a large volume of your bandwidth. If that’s your case, you have to wait for them to become idle. Once they’re idle, you can use Remote Play.
Choosing the Video Output on Your Laptop
Since you need to play PS4 on the laptop monitor, setting the video output correctly is very important.
Go to Settings and Video Quality for Remote Play on the start screen of your PS4 Remote Play. Then, configure the following parameters.
- Set the Resolution: Choose any of the Low (360p) or Standard (540p)
- Configure the Frame Rate: Choose Standard
Choosing the Video Output on Your MacBook
The process on a Mac is almost identical to that on a Windows laptop.
- Launch and Choose the PS4 Remote Play
- Go to Preferences
- Click the menu bar and choose Video Quality for Remote Play
Configurations for the Resolution and Frame Rate should be the same way as a laptop.
You’ve already got how to use a laptop as a monitor for PS4, but remember that there’re minimum system requirements that allow you to connect PS4 to the laptop screen.
Here’re the minimum resources:
- Multiple USB ports
- 2 GB of RAM
- 100 MB of available storage (40 MB for Mac)
- 1024 × 768 display resolutions
The above resources in the mentioned amount meet the requirements. But, higher configurations are always welcome. Also, don’t force anything or rush during the process because any wrong step may deprive you of the mesmerizing world of PS4 gaming.